Who Are We?
Joshua J. Smith has been a successful trial attorney in the State of Georgia since 2000. We handle cases in the State and Federal Courts of Georgia. This firm works closely with our clients who have been injured to make sure they are healthy and fairly compensated for their injuries.
Dedication to our Clients
We are dedicated to providing clients with exceptional service and personal attention. We strive to treat each client the way we would want to be treated if we were a client.
Joshua J. Smith and his staff know how stressful it is to be injured. We care a great deal about our clients and are available for their questions and concerns. We promptly return client phone calls. Our clients know that we are working to protect their rights, and that we are effectively handling their legal matters. This enables them to focus on getting well, their families, and returning to their day-to-day lives.
Our goal is to be the most service-oriented law firm in Georgia. Our mission and our promise is to operate at all times with honesty, integrity, high moral character and unquestionable ethics.
We give our clients the same advice that we would give a family member: If you have questions or concerns, we want you to contact our office. Your questions and thoughts are important to us.
We are sure you have heard about professionals who do not return client phone calls; or, perhaps you have spoken to people using other law firms who never knew what was going on with their cases. That won’t happen with us. We keep our clients well-informed of important developments and routinely send copies of correspondence regarding their cases.
We want our clients to concentrate on getting well. We want to hear from you if you have any questions or concerns. This is your case, and we work for you, not the other way around. That may sound a little old-fashioned, but it is what we believe and how we conduct ourselves.
Do I Need An Attorney?
Unfortunately, justice is not automatic, even when it is clear that you have been injured by another person’s carelessness.
In order to protect the legal rights of someone who has been injured, a number of issues must be carefully considered and properly addressed. These include complying with various time deadlines, maneuvering through the insurance company mine-field, and taking advantage of all benefits afforded under various laws and insurance policies.
Sometimes these issues can be quite complex, and errors can be costly. Knowing the applicable law requires not only a knowledge of state and federal statutes, but also a good understanding of the court cases that have interpreted and applied those statutes. Make a mistake, such as failing to comply with a legal time deadline or notice requirement in an insurance policy, and you can lose your right to make a claim. Say the wrong thing to an adjuster, and you may greatly harm the value of your claim.
Proceeding without legal advice can be very risky. The system is stacked against someone who is not represented by an attorney. Insurance companies are in business to make money, and they do this by paying you as little as possible or nothing at all. Insurance companies have their own lawyers and well-trained adjusters who are familiar with the system and how to work it to their advantage.
Don’t forget that insurance adjusters work for their insurance companies, not for accident victims. They are paid to minimize the value of victims’ claims and this can be easy to do, especially when an injured person does not know his or her rights. An attorney’s job is to protect the victims’ rights and to maximize the value of their claims. Generally, it is advantageous to hire an attorney soon after an accident happens. But, even if some time has passed, a consultation with an attorney is important to make sure your rights are protected.
Examples of steps that need to be taken to get you the most money possible include:
- Determine all possible sources of insurance. Many times there are additional sources that a layman may miss. Examples can include: liability insurance, resident relative insurance, medical payment coverage on auto and other policies, uninsured motorist coverage, umbrella coverage, health insurance and disability insurance.
- Take appropriate steps to ensure compliance with notice and other requirements in all insurance policies that may provide benefits.
- Determine the applicable “statute of limitations”- the time frame in which a claim or other notice must be filed to preserve your rights – and take all required actions to protect those rights. Failure to comply with these deadlines will result in the loss of the right to make a claim.
- Analyze the applicable laws in light of the facts of a particular case. Develop a strategy for the best way to present the facts of a case in order to maximize the dollar recovery.
- Determine the full extent of the injuries- including pain and suffering, cost of medical care, and lost wages.
- Determine the types of damages applicable-compensatory, and possibly punitive damages.
- Preserve evidence: for example, take photographs of the scene, vehicles involved, and injuries, and get statements from witnesses, as may be appropriate.
- Determine the fair value of the claim.
Joshua J. Smith and our staff can handle all of this for you. You can concentrate on the important things: getting healthy and returning to your day-to-day life. We take care of the complicated legal issues so that you don’t have to worry. We have an experienced staff that is ready to fight for you. Joshua J. Smith will protect your rights and work hard to get you the most money possible.
If you or someone you love has been injured, call us today for your free consultation. If your situation is one that we feel you can handle yourself, we will gladly let you know.